Saturday 23 October 2021

 Forest Frustration

It's been a while and I can't really blame COVID for my lack of posting but I can plead guilty to inactivity in the photographic department but Autumn's here so it's a big mental kick up the backside to myself to get out more

I've always been a tree person, climbing them when I was young, walking in them later and then photographing them when I grew up ( some say that has yet to happen ) but I never got round to photographing woodland


Being on FB and Instagram ( rabkerr55 ) I inevitably see loads of forest images most of which I think are great images so I made the decision to try some woodland / forest photography ( how hard can it be ), step away from the camera Rab, reality check, not only is it not an easy thing to do ( never thought it would be easy but . . . . ) trying to shoot woodland is hard enough due to non-existent light penetration but when you then convert them to MONO and discover nope that doesn't work it gets very frustrating but as with everything else perseverance is the key, the more time you spend in the woods the more you see





The biggest problem with woodland photography is overload and not being able to see what we are looking at, might sound daft can't see what your looking at WHAT ! but there is so much going on, stuff every where it's really difficult to filter out the good bits,  enter the mobile phone, great for framing up an image before you set up to take what you think is your next nugget 



Then in the Autumn you are not only given some fantastic colours but you also get fungi popping up underfoot ( word of warning at this point don't take your dog or you will suffer multiple breakages )   A tip given to me by a friend after a few less than satisfactory attempts at mushroom shots " take a small torch with you to light up the mushrooms " ( Thanks Mrs D ) 





I've been trying to get my head round woodland photography for a long time and "I" think I'm sort of getting there and the bottom line is if you don't get home with any worthwhile images you've had a great day walking in the woods. 

DON'T GIVE UP

Rab .K

No comments:

Post a Comment